5-Minute Workout for Toned Butt and Thighs
The secret to this 5-minute workout’s effectiveness is engaging the muscles thoroughly.
Likewise, the work to rest ratio makes your muscles feel the exercises quickly. For each of the 5 moves, go as hard as you can for 50 seconds, rest for only 10, then do the next one.
Use 5-10 lb dumbbells.
1. Glute Bridge
* Lie on your back with knees bent and feet on the floor.
* Place a dumbbell between the hip bones and hold it there with your hands during the entire movement. Make sure shoulder blades are tucked underneath and neck is comfortable.
* Exhale and drive through heels as you squeeze the glutes to lift. Do not try to lift using lower back. You should feel tension in the glutes, hamstrings and quads. To help relieve any tension in the lower back, pull the belly button in toward the spine.
* Stop the lift when your hips are in line with the thighs and torso.
* Inhale and slowly release the move, rolling the vertebrae down until the pelvis hits the floor, then immediately go for the next rep.
2. Swing with Dumbbell
* Stand with feet at 2 to 3 feet apart.
* Hold a dumbbell in both hands, palm facing down.
* Squat until thighs are parallel to the floor, moving the weight between legs.
* Thrust hips forward, straighten knees and swing the weight up to chest level with straight arms.
* Squat back down, swinging the weight between legs.
3. Alternating Curtsy Lunge
* Stand up with feet hip-width apart.
* Hold a dumbbell on each hand.
* Beginning with the right foot, step backward across left foot.
* Simultaneously, bend the left knee and drop it towards the ground.
Stop when the front right knee is parallel with the ground.
* Push off the ground with right foot and return to the starting position.
* Do the same thing with the left foot.
4. Low Sumo Squat
* Grab dumbbells close to chest.
* Set feet about twice shoulder width apart, toes turned out slightly.
* Lower body as far as you can by pushing hips back and bending knees.
* Push back to the starting position. Keep torso upright during the exercise with lower back naturally arched.
* Stand with feet hip-width apart, holding dumbbells in front of thighs with palms facing body.
* With a slight bend in knees, push hips back and slowly slide weights down legs toward floor while keeping spine long and abs tight.
* Push through the heels to return to standing position.