6 Exercises to Include in Your Workout Routine for Slim Hips and Thighs
Many women have their hips and thighs as trouble spots. The goal to have slim hips and trim thighs always seems futile, thus many give up.
However, all it takes are effective shaping exercises and the fact that you can’t just rely on spot reducing exercises on their own.
You have to do these hip and thigh exercises after your cardio session or work them in your strength routine 3 or 4 days per week.
* set of dumbbells from 5 to 15 lbs depending on your fitness level
* resistance loop or resistance band tied in a small loop
1. Balancing Squat
* Stand tall with feet slightly wider than hip-width apart.
* Keeping your chest lifted and maintaining a neutral spine, lower into a deep squat, reaching arms to the floor. Try tapping the ground.
* As you press up, shift weight into right leg as you bend left knee and grab your shin with left hand.
* Hold for 1 count, release leg, and return to start. That’s one rep.
* Do 20 reps, alternating sides each time.
2. Side-Stepping Curtsy
* Stand tall with your feet slightly wider than hip-width apart, hands clasped behind your head.
* Take a large step diagonally backward so that one foot ends up crossed behind other leg.
* Descend into a lunge by bringing both knees to 90-degrees.
* Keep front foot flat on the floor and back foot positioned on toes.
* Reach for the floor to keep balance.
* Push back up to the starting position.
3. Hinging Deadlift with Dumbbells
* Grab a pair of dumbbells and stand with feet slightly wider than hip-width apart, knees slightly bent.
* Hold the weights in front of thighs, palms facing in.
* Maintaining a neutral spine, hinge forward from hips, lowering the dumbbells to the ground, until torso is almost parallel with the floor.
* Focus on using glutes to raise body halfway back up and then return to full forward hinge. That’s one rep.
* Repeat 20 times total.
4. Shifting Side Lunge with Dumbbells
* Stand with feet together, holding dumbbells by sides.
* Take a wide step out to your right and lower into a side lunge, reaching dumbbells on either side of right leg.
* Bend left knee and shift weight into both legs, into a wide squat position, lowering the dumbbells to the floor in front of you.
* Extend right leg and shift weight to the left, moving into a side lunge with left leg.
* Push off left foot to bring legs together and return to start. That’s one rep.
* Do 20 reps total, alternating sides each time.
5. External Hip Raise with Band
* With a looped resistance band around ankles, lie on your right side, supporting upper body with right hand and forearm.
* Extend and flex both legs.
* Brace abs in and lift top leg up to hip height, rotating leg to turn toes down to the floor, keeping tension on the band.
* Lift leg slightly higher than hip height, pushing against band, with heel rotated up to the ceiling.
* Return to hip height.
* Repeat 20 times quickly then switch sides.
6. Side-Lying Leg Lift with Band
* Loop a resistance band around ankles and lie on your right side with right arm extended on the floor, left hand in front of body for support.
* Brace abs in tight, bring bottom leg slightly in front of top leg (let the inside of your top foot rest on the ground), and lift leg up to the ceiling, keeping hips stacked.
* Keep tension on the band at all times and pulse bottom leg up and down quickly 20 times.
* Repeat on the other side.